The purpose of re-registration is to ensure that PRINCE2 Practitioners keep their knowledge current. As part of the PRINCE2 2017 update Axelos made changes to the re-registration requirements to reflect the growing importance of professional development. From the release of the new guidance and exams in mid-2017, end learners certified in PRINCE2 will be encouraged to remain current through a new programme linked to PRINCE2 Membership. This will enable Practitioners to record CPD (Continuing Professional Development) activities on an annual basis, which they can collect throughout the year. CPD allows practitioners to demonstrate they are maintaining their professional expertise and avoids the need for a mandatory re-registration exam.
AXELOS no longer provide PRINCE2 2009 Re-registration as of the end of 2017. You can no longer re-register with the 2009 version but need to sit the 2017 Practitioner exam.
Key PRINCE2 re-registration facts
- Re-registration for PRINCE2 2009 Practitioner closed on 31st December 2017
- Maintaining your registration now requires you to hold PRINCE2 2017
- The new PRINCE2 2017 Practitioner certificates have a registration expiry date of three years
- Candidates can retake the full Practitioner exam at the end of the three years(or at any point after that)to remain current.
- There will be no PRINCE2 2017 update re-registration exam
Changing PRINCE2 re-registration requirements
The purpose of re-registration is to ensure that PRINCE2 Practitioners keep their knowledge current. As part of the update Axelos are changing these requirements to reflect the growing importance of professional development. From the release of the new guidance and exams in mid-2017, end learners certified in PRINCE2 will be encouraged to remain current through a new programme linked to PRINCE2 Membership. This will enable our Practitioners to record CPD (Continuing Professional Development) activities on an annual basis, which they can collect throughout the year. CPD allows practitioners to demonstrate they are maintaining their professional expertise and avoids the need for a mandatory re-registration exam.
Remaining current with your PRINCE2 certification
PRINCE2 Membership offers an alternative option for candidates. In order to remain current with their certification candidates must satisfy the following criteria within the three-year period:
- Join membership within three months of passing their exam and remain in membership for the three-year period by renewing the subscription each year
- Maintain the PRINCE2 digital badge which will be awarded as part of membership for the three-year period. Candidates will need to record 20 CPD points each year, in the prescribed categories, for the badge to be extended on renewal.
If a candidate has satisfied the above two criteria they will be considered current and issued a new certificate at the end of year three that is valid for a further three years. You will only receive a new certificate if your digital badge has been maintained for the three-year period
To support candidates who wish to remain current, AXELOS will be including one year’s PRINCE2 Membership with every PRINCE2 2017 update Practitioner exam. Once a candidate successfully passes their exam AXELOS will contact them with details of how to activate their membership and claim a digital badge
Current PRINCE2 certifications (issued prior to release of the updated PRINCE2 guidance and exam in mid-2017) remain valid until the expiry date shown on the certificate. These candidates can maintain their current registration via AXELOS Membership and logging the required 20 CPD points each year to maintain their digital badge. However, these individuals will not be issued a new certificate at the end of three years, instead their digital badge is proof that they have maintained their professional expertise
The membership service is currently only available in English. AXELOS will though accept CPD submissions in languages other than English and be able to audit if required
The changes to re-registration are only applicable to PRINCE2 Practitioners taking the English language version of the 2017 examination. Existing translated exams of 2009 PRINCE2 will still be available as will their re-registration exams
This course covers the roles, principles, themes and processes that form the structure of PRINCE2 6th Edition. It also explains the various PRINCE2 6th Edition management products that will help delegates deliver projects in a coordinated, consistent and transparent manner. Throughout the course, PRINCE2 experts help delegates understand the benefits of adopting the PRINCE2 6th Edition methodology.
The exam certification accredited by PeopleCert on behalf of Axelos is included in the cost of this course.
All delegates enrolled on virtual course bookings receive a hard copy of course materials sent to a preferred postal address.
Existing PRINCE Practitioners who need to convert to the latest version (PRINCE2)
Current PRINCE2 Practitioners who wish to re-affirm their status as a 'Registered' PRINCE2 Practitioner
Candidates must hold the Prince2 Practitioner Certificate
Candidates must bring their existing PRINCE2 Manual with them to the event
Proof of pre-requisites must be submitted no later than 5 working days prior to the start of the event. This evidence MUST be reproduced on the day of the exam to the trainer.
Acceptable forms of prerequisite confirmation are as follows:
- A copy of the candidates examination certificate
- Confirmed entry in the AXELOS Successful Candidate Register (This must be a clear print screen of the AXELOS SCR, with the delegates details displayed)
Delegates without evidence of the prerequisites will NOT be permitted to sit the exam.
Performance Based Objectives
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define the characteristics and context of a project and the benefits of adopting PRINCE2
- Explain the terminology that is used within PRINCE2
- List the key roles and responsibilities that are involved in a PRINCE2 project
- Define the purpose of the seven principles that characterise a PRINCE2 project
- Understand the seven PRINCE2 themes that must be continually addressed
- Explain the purpose, objectives and context of the seven PRINCE2 processes that help structure the activities required to deliver the project successfully
- Define the purpose of a PRINCE2 management product and list its content
- Work more effectively within a PRINCE2 environment, either as a team member or in the management of the project
- Apply and tailor PRINCE2 in a scenario situation.
- Apply the method to a real project
- Apply and understand how to tailor PRINCE2 effectively to a project within an organization environment supporting PRINCE2.
- Be able to create and assess management products.
In conjunction with the pre-course material, the course ensures that theory is embedded and delegates feel confident in the practical application of PRINCE2. Additional evening work will be required in the form of consolidation reading and mock examination questions. The evening work is an integral part of the course and delegates should expect to spend approximately two hours on these activities.
In conjunction with the pre-course material, the course will cover the following syllabus areas:
Delegates are introduced to the world of projects and project management and to the overall structure of the PRINCE2 method. The benefits of adopting a formal project management method will also be outlined.
PRINCE2 operates with a universal set of principles that can be applied to every project. These seven principles provide the framework of good practice upon which PRINCE2 is based.
- Continued business justification
- Learn from Experience
- Defined Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage by stages
- Manage by exception
- Focus on Products
- Tailor to suit the project environment
The seven PRINCE2 themes are aspects of the project that must be continually addressed and linked together in order for the project to be delivered effectively.
- Business Case
The seven PRINCE2 processes define the activities that are required to direct, manage and deliver the project successfully. The following processes run from pre-project, through initiation and delivery, up to and including project closure.
- Starting up a Project
- Directing a Project
- Initiating a Project
- Controlling a Stage
- Managing Product Delivery
- Managing a Stage Boundary
- Closing a Project
Throughout the course delegates will be exposed to numerous examples of examination questions. We will undertake a number of exercises and 'question-and-answer' sessions that will help to consolidate the learning, thereby ensuring that delegates are more than adequately prepared for the PRINCE2 Practitioner re-registration examination.
Sole Supplier to the Scottish Government
Dates & Locations